Varicose veins are abnormal, enlarged and twisted veins, typically affecting the veins in the legs. Normally, veins have one-way valves that help blood to flow back to the heart. If these valves become incompetent (open and non-functioning), blood pools in the veins causing them to become swollen and varicose. Sometimes varicose veins can also arise from structural weaknesses in the vein wall, or from higher than normal blood pressure in the veins.
Varicose veins are a common problem, affecting nearly 20-30% of the population, with women more often affected than men by 2-3 times. The most common type of varicose veins are telangectasias. Due to their appearance, they may also be called spider veins, star bursts, thread veins, or matted veins. Varicose veins can be more common in people who spend long periods of time on their feet, women following child birth and those that have a family history of varicose veins.
Some patients experience no symptoms, but choose to see their Doctor because they find the cosmetic appearance of varicose veins unsightly. Symptomatic patients may experience:
- Dull ache or pressure in the legs after prolonged standing or walking
- Sensation of “heaviness” of the legs
- Skin changes (such as itchiness, pigmentation, induration)
- Recurrent or persistent ulceration
- Inflammation of the vein (phlebitis)
- Clots in the vein (thrombosis)
Benefits of treatment at New Life Clinic WA
- The treatment is minimally invasive and patients walk in and walk out after their procedure
- Treatments are performed by our Specialist Interventional Radiologist, Dr Sanjay Nadkarni
- For our patients’ convenience, treatments can be performed at our Claremont Clinic at Endovascular WA (sister company to New Life Clinic WA)
- No hospital visit or hospital fees
- No general anesthetics
- A comprehensive follow up program all bulk billed by Dr Nadkarni at our Claremont clinic
Varicose veins treatment options
Patients who are having mild symptoms such as ache or swelling, are advised to avoid prolonged standing and to try compressive stockings. For moderate to severe symptoms, treatment at New Life Clinic is less invasive than conventional surgical stripping. The outomes of our successful procedures means less ‘down time’, patients walk in and walk out. There are no hospital costs, no general anaesthetic and minimal down time, with most patients able to return to work the following day.
Treatment is performed using a combination of ambulatory phlebectomy, endovenous laser ablation and sclerotherapy. Some patients will require only one of these treatments, while others may require a combination of all depending on the severity of their condition.
Begin your New Life with New Life Clinic WA today – we are here to help
To read more and learn about varicose veins please visit www.endovascularwa.com.au or contact our practice on (08) 9284 2900.
- Laser & Lights
- Dermal Face & Skin
- Micronutrient Therapy
- Cosmetic Injectables
- What’s New?